- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (soaked in water for 12 hours)
- 1 finely chopped hot pepper
- 10 cups water
- 4 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups croutons
- Bring the chickpeas and water to a boil in a large saucepan, then cover it and cook over medium heat for about 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the garnish ingredients, and cook over a medium heat for a another 30 minutes or until the chickpeas get tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and olive oil (Garnish).
- Top with croutons.